Saturday, January 10, 2009

Biker Fraternity

One remarkable thing that I have learned about motorcycling is that no matter what you ride, or where you ride, there is an unspoken bond between bikers.

There is the left hand wave, head nod or beep of the horn that you get from bikers you pass on the road. Beyond that, if you ride or travel, other bikers will surely stop and chat with you or stop to help you if you need assistance.

I learned this the hard way earlier this year after being plowed into by a cab while sitting at a light in Manhattan. The cab was going the wrong way and claimed he never saw me (although I stand 6'2, wore visible clothing and it was broad daylight! Every motorcyclist that passed and saw me standing over the carnage of my bike in the street stopped to make sure that I was OK, see if I needed to use a phone, etc.

I am currently making a trip from NY to Myrtle Beach SC. It is freezing cold outside and so far I am the only motorcycle I have seen on the road in New York. In my first two hours of travel I have already met two fellow bikers at the Thomas Edison service station in NJ.

Cisco is on his way to FL and exchanged numbers with me, letting me know if I get in trouble or need anything to reach out to him. He rides a ZX-10 and has done some long distance riding.

Danny is an old-timer who used to have a bike shop. He owns a Goldwing and a Hayabusa like mine. Danny hipped me to some weekend drag racing and biker hangouts in NJ for the spring, so I cant wait for the new season to start. He told me I am a better man than him because his hands always get cold, even with heated gloves.

Shout out to Cisco and Danny for making me feel comfortable and to Cisco for staying in touch while I'm headed south.

Lookout for pictures and more commentary as I continue my journey. Its nearly 9 am in Maryland and I need to get back on the road to outrun the upcoming rain in NC . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment