Saturday, January 17, 2009

Cold Weather Travel

I thought I was accustomed to cold weather biking. Normally I endure high 30 - low 40 degree riding with no problem.

In my preparation for this particular trip a few people suggested that i get heated gloves. Luckily I listened. Picked up a set of Tourmaster gloves, wired them into my battery and was good to go.

Layered clothing, thick pants and warm socks are always a must, because any non-insulated area will become cold, thus allowing the rest of your body to get cold.

The wind on your hands, feet and body make you colder than you would be standing still, therefore you need to dress much warmer. Just as the converse is true in the summer, where you keep moving to keep cool.

One day I tested this thory and got on the highway on a warm day (50s) with less clothing and my regular gloves. After two exits, I got off so that I could add layers and switch gloves.

No comments:

Post a Comment